Monday 7 May 2007

Clash of the Cuties...

Well, I suspected that it was only a question of time before I caved in! Here it is - a tension square for a baby sweater (plus a pattern debate which I think I have resolved - sort of).

I did say that it might be difficult to keep on knitting for myself when friends are popping out children!

I was driven to this swatch by the 'shame' of turning up at Friend Number 1's house with a gift for her newborn son that I did not make.

When I handed the package over, it felt completely beside the point that it was a very practical summer baby gift and that, as Child Number 4, this baby might be very grateful to receive some t-shirts and trousers that no other sibling has worn before.

It didn't help that my friend gave a huge smile when she prodded the package and asked whether it was something that I had knitted specially...nggg. Gulp, no.

It is not a scenario that I wish to repeat when Friend Number 2 gives birth. She is pretty certain that she is having a little girl. So...here is the start of a Baby Ballerina Wrap Type Top, Sort Of.
I have swatched for this pattern from the RYC Mother and Baby book.

However, instead of Cashcotton 4 Ply, I am using 4 Ply Soft. I knitted the tension square in 3.25mm and 3mm needles.


Neither gets to me the correct gauge.

Although both yarns have exactly the same stated tension and yardage, I seem to knit looser.

While I love the heart-like lace pattern, I am not keen on the bobbles or an edging that is knitted separately and sewn on at the end (I think). On my swatch, I have played about with/without bobble and adding an extra hole, just to see which effect I prefer.

Then, just as I thought I was there but reconciling myself to the fact that my top would be bigger than the pattern states. I spotted this pattern in a magazine supplement that a friend gave me. I did the yardage conversion and checked my gauge. My tension square is much closer to the stated tension for this pattern than the RYC one!

I really like the simple, clean lines of Debbie Bliss's designs. I also like the slightly ruffled edges on this pattern.

However, I have just finished knitting reams of plain sticking stitch and I am not sure abut the practicality of the ribbon tie finish so...


...I think that I am going to fiddle and come up with a hybrid of these two designs and a different type of closure at the front. If you are not chuckling yet, you should be - my bumbling progress could make an entertaining read!

No comments: