Friday 22 May 2009

Wedding Blessing Celebration Invitations

I am not sure whether it is quite safe for me to post yet. I am about halfway through our wedding blessing celebration invitations. Do not yell at me. This has not been a very easy process – how on earth is a person supposed to pick sensibly between the people that they know and love, just in terms of who to invite and who not to invite?

Our key criteria for our blessing were very straightforward. We thought it would be lovely to:

  • celebrate somewhere that is meaningful to us both
  • hold it on the first weekend in July (which is the third anniversary of when we met)
  • receive our blessing in the same spot that we met
  • have an event that is laid back and enjoyable – both for us and our guests.

Luckily, we have been able to make arrangements to make the first three bullets a reality. We are holding our wedding blessing in the same place that we met three years ago and our blessing is going to be performed by someone we both know and respect. We are still working on the final bullet.

The good news is that our venue has plenty of outside space and lots of room for children to play and people to camp. However, our venue has a limited seating capacity for the meal after the blessing. While this supports the idea of a having a relaxed event of a manageable size, it has also presented us with a problem. We do not have the capacity to invite everyone we know. My extended families are quite large. In fact, trying to work out how to solve this problem is the primary reason that our invitations are so late going out.

In the end, we decided to make our event a simple blend of our immediate families and the friends who know us both, have been an active part of our lives over the past 3 years and have been a part of our journey together (so far). It's not a perfect solution and I am sure that there will be some hiccups to iron out – we just have our fingers crossed in hope that there will not be too many.

~~~

PS, as I am sure that you are all wondering, I have no idea whether or not I am going to wear the plastic fantastic, white wedding dress. Far from losing weight since I last wore it - I seem to have gained more? So even if I could strap the horrible thing on, I suspect that setting free my bingo wings, even in my cream shrug, is a bad idea. I might turn suddenly and knock someone out? No, I have no idea what to wear instead – a bin liner, perhaps? A darker shade of cardigan over my dress, that goes somewhat with my shoes? I think that I might hold off and make a dash to Monsoon or something when I get back to the UK. Ho hum.

1 comment:

Team Knit said...

It's amazing how stressful the whole process is- deciding who to invite is such a painful process- but it sound like you've got it under control! Good luck!

- Julie