Wednesday 8 August 2007

Introducing Megan...

I do not think that it is possible to have a human or animal shaped item inside ones home without giving it a name - it would be weird - it would become 'the thing with no name'.

So when I needed a body form (and found out that my friend Mel had a dressmaker's dummy hiding in her loft, all neglected and dusty), I liberated it on loan, dusted it off and named it Megan (Meg for short).

So please see left, for some reason, it feels very important for me to introduce you to Meg, as she and I have our work cut out over the next few weeks.

I am looking at her now. Interestingly, Meg hails from an era where ladies were slim. Although I have lost 53 pounds (in weight, not through financial carelessness) over the last 6 months, I have pushed Meg to the very outermost limit if her capacity, to approximate my curent dimensions.

Actually, I am not 100% certain that my efforts have been that effective as she really does not have enough ease in her centimetres to represent me - luckily, I am working on a Puss in Boots wrap, so she only needs to approximate me in the most minute of ways.

Over the next week or so, I need to spend some time with Meg, checking my wrap design and dimensions, while Dee dyes some more yarn for me.

You know, at last, I feel swatched out - I really need and want to start on the real thing, even though I love my unruly swatch, truly I do. In fact, today, to stop me carrying on with my swatching, I cast on a tension square for something in the Knitting Lingerie book and took that on the train with me into work.

'Just' (ahem) some Debbie Bliss Cashmere Cotton that I rescued from the John Lewis summer sale along with some Cashmerino Super Chunky, Big Wool and Cathay (don't ask. My house is now officially bulging with yarn). It is not as though I do not have other projects queued for finishing either e.g. Phyllo Yoked Sweater, sewing up the baby ballerina wrap before the gift recipient outgrowns it...plus other unfinished projects of shame!

Moving swiftly on, I have set aside the other yarns that I auditioned for this wrap and in my head, I have identified other projects for them - at some point.

If you would like to see more on the yarn auditions and the endless swatching that I seem to have done lately - please keep an eye on Katherine Laarzen (Puss in Boots blog), over the next day or so! The photos are taken but life and work seem to conspire against me, so I just need a bit of time to organise and upload them.

Roobeedoo - I am knitting, honest I am!

No comments: